Overview

 

THE HARRISON HOUSE MUSEUM, BARN & GARDENS

THE HARRISON HOUSE MUSEUM, BARN & GARDENS

124 Main Street
Branford, CT 06405
(203) 488-4828
info@branfordhistoricalsociety.org

HOURS

June thru September
Saturdays, 1:00 – 4:00 p.m.
or by appointment.
Admission is Free.
Donations are welcome.

THE HARRISON HOUSE MUSEUM, BARN & GARDENS

Stepping into the Harrison House is like stepping into another world. The old wood of the walls, the hand-hewn oak corner posts, the chamfered summer beams and exposed joists create an atmosphere of antiquity. The unique corner cupboard and huge hall fireplace are products of two hundred and fifty years ago. The furnishings of four-poster and rope beds, the bedspread, made by a Linsley ancestor for her dowry, the seventeenth century chests of Branford origin, the beehive bake oven, warming pans, foot stoves and old china all lend the charm of the olden days.

Built by Nathaniel Harrison in 1724 as a “two over two” house and occupied by his family and descendants until 1800, the house was then taken over by Linsleys who with their descendants lived here until 1938. In that year J. Frederick Kelly, prominent architectural historian, bought the Harrison House and painstakingly restored it to its original condition. The house is now owned by the Branford Historical Society and is also a recorded property on The National Register of Historic Places.

One of the rooms in the Harrison House Museum is set aside as an exhibit room, including Branford artifacts, memorabilia and archives. The society is dedicated to discovering, preserving and showing Branford’s heritage. Branford families are encouraged to bring their ancestral records, products, pictures and collections for exhibits which are held periodically. Contributing a copy of your family’s history and articles of historical value is encouraged.

The Branford Historical Society maintains The Harrison House and its barn set on two lovely acres of land. A fine herb and colonial garden is tended by the Branford Garden Club. We welcome new members who will share our effort and joy in keeping alive this symbol of Branford’s past.

THE HARRISON HOUSE MUSEUM, BARN & GARDENS

124 Main Street
Branford, CT 06405
(203) 488-4828
info@branfordhistoricalsociety.org

Make a Donation